Crochet Kindle Case Tutorial

My wonderful husband gave me a Kindle e-reader for my birthday last month. I love to read and am enjoying having an e-reader. I like to carry it in my purse, but wanted it to be protected, so I made a cover for it. Here’s how:


1. Using cotton (Sugar & Cream weight) yarn and a size K crochet hook, chain 26.

2. Beginning with the second chain from hook, single crochet in each chain stitch to end. This should now be a half-inch longer than the height of the Kindle.

3. Chain 1, turn, and single crochet in each single crochet. Repeat this step until the piece is twice the width of the Kindle plus three inches. Bind off.

4. Lay Kindle on piece about three inches from one end. 




 Fold other end over Kindle. Adjust so that Kindle is completely covered and edge of piece matches side edge of Kindle.
                                    (So, Kindle is inside in this illustration, with left side folded over top of Kindle)



5. Remove Kindle, and fold remaining 2 – 2 ½ inches over other two layers.












Pin sides together. Stitch sides with matching yarn, or crochet layers together.  Now you should have a crocheted case with a foldover top.  You can stop here, or continue to add a lining.

6. To make the lining, cut a piece of coordinating fabric to the height of the Kindle plus 1 inch and twice the width of the Kindle plus 2 inches.

7. Fold right sides together matching short edges.

8. Stitch both sides together with ½ inch seams.

9. Fold open edge down (toward wrong side) 1 inch and press in place.

10. Place lining in crochet cover and slip stitch in place.

11. To make fabric flower embellishment, cut a piece of fabric 2 ½ inches wide and 15 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Press and unfold. Fold long sides to center, and fold in half lengthwise. Press in place. Use this fabric “ribbon” to make a ribbon rose. Stitch to front of Kindle case.


Printable Version
If you would like a case like this and don’t want to make it yourself, you can purchase this Kindle Cover or request a custom Kindle Cover from Artistic Inspiration.

For more fun, creative ideas...



 

and take a look at the Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2011 at Grosgrain.



Comments

  1. Great project. I'm still holding off on a Kindle. Everyone I know loves theirs but I hate giving up books! The objects themselves mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Laura.

    I could NEVER, EVER give up actual books. There is something special about holding a book in your hands, and I have my favorites that I go back to again and again.

    I am enjoying the Kindle, though, and had fun making the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cindy,
    Thanks so much for the sweet comment and I send love and wishes of good health to you. The comment after yours declared me to be 'harsh' ;-)
    Can't please everyone I guess.

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iwill I had the first kindle with the keyboard at bottom And now for. A year I have kindle fire Love. LOVE IT. I love to read and the thought of having to lug a heavy. Bulky. Book around No way. Never again And I don't. Want to fill book shelves with books again Live your pattern and a. Going to get started right away Thank You. Very much

      Delete
  4. I like how you put a printed fabric on the inside it just gives it a punch of boldness. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's super cute! Thanks so much for adding it to the One Pretty Thing Flickr pool, I'll be linking to this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! So beautiful! I just adore it! I am getting my husband a Kindle for Christmas for all of his plane trips. I am too old fashioned for a Kindle and and need to have a book. Maybe I could get one of your pouches for my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and I was hoping that you could put the dimensions on the pattern so I know how big to make mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindle and other e-readers come in a variety sizes. This is why the instructions are written the way they are. You will need to measure your e-reader to determine which demensions will work.

    Cindy

    P.S. I'm revising #2 of the instructions to say just how much bigger that the height it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cindy, I'm actually making this as a gift so I'll have to improvise a bit. I just found the kindle measurements online so hopefully that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for putting up a free, clear & best of all...EASY pattern. I'm a newbie to crochet and I so wanted to make a cozy for my Mother's Kindle as a get-well gift. Not only will she appreciate the gesture, she'll also love the fact that I didn't spend any money [though, she is totally worth it].
    Thank you and bless you.
    Mitten, Salinas,CA
    b/b)O(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, I shared your blogspot link on my blogspot page, after I crocheted your Kindle Cozy pattern! Which I love, BTW! I am making two more, and going to try my first frog closures on the kindle klutch. Here is a link to my blogspot, with a picture of the cozy I just finished crocheting! Thanks for sharing! Debbie

    http://sewgroovy.blogspot.com/2011/12/frog-closures-for-kindle-klutch.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for linking to my Kindle Cozy tutorial!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that the new Nook GlowLight is out, I got myself that e-reader. You can read in the dark or in the sun with it! And now, I'll be crocheting myself a cover for it. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Sports Nutrition Pack Giveaway

Losing a Baby